Thursday, April 23, 2009

It's Mixology, Man

Last Saturday night, we went to The Varnish. It's downtown, it's in the back of Cole's, it's cloaked in secrecy, it's "old timey," and it's a shrine to mixology. I am a HUGE fan of great bartenders, but something about this movement has gotten a little bit too distilled and syrupy. While the drinks we had were good, piled on top of each other they dissolved into a sugary, acidic excess in the back of my throat. I eventually moved on to scotch on the rocks, a bold and not readily acceptable move in these parts. Mixing things together well is an art, but I fear that in this current mood of master bartender fever craze, their fervent adherence to simplicity, organic, and homemade has led to a rapid overuse, overextraction and perhaps too much mixing. Suddenly, it's not the bartender that I see behind the bar, but the cocky/sulky/chubby/stinky/ eight year old who couldn't get enough candy. I digress, the place is lovely, aside from the underutilized piano. The drinks, are good, in fact some are great like the Brown Derby, or I am sure they make a killer dry martini. 



No comments:

Post a Comment